Saturday, June 14, 2008

Tinkyada brown rice pasta

Usually when I hear someone say that a gluten-free pasta is just as good as wheat pasta, I think "what have they been doing to their wheat pasta?" I left a regretfully supercilious comment on Hélène's blog to that effect (regretfully as in apt to cause regret in its author, as in fact it has). It turns out that she should have responded "what have you been doing to your rice pasta?" In my defense, what I was doing was following the package instructions. The company's enemies placed a bit of foul libel entitled "energy saving cooking instructions" that reduces the rice pasta to more of an emetic than food, which I mulishly followed. But when cooked like normal pasta, with salt and at a rolling boil for a short period of time, it really is delicious.

It's good to be wrong now and again, if only for the novelty.