Sunday, June 22, 2008

Google's Black Box

Apparently Google's exact search formula is proprietary information and thus not available to puzzled bloggers, but it must involve something seriously weird. If you google "fruit vs vegetable", this post comes up in the top ten. Seriously weird as the intended audience was precisely one person, and the only proof I have ever received of the post having been read was from that same person, which was pretty okay with me since I put about as much time into the post as it took to type, and I type faster when I think less.

An image search of some sort (I haven't figured out what, yet) pulls up one of my favorite posts, but again the wider world has not really been knocking down my door begging for more of this special brand of something. So why do the fashion-hungry from Tel Aviv end up on my threshold?

"Jesse tree pictures" will again bring me up in the top ten, again with no apparent links.

A brief look at Wikipedia on PageRank tells me that a) Google does not live by links alone and b) something else that I don't really want to bother understanding right now and probably isn't important. Maybe showing up on Google is roughly equivalent to Aristotle's assessment of prophetic dreams: if enough of it happens, sooner or later a couple will ring true.

Now why am I not the first result if you search "dachshund Catholic communist"? (Actually, it's a fun and informative site on dachshund stamps.)