Monday, February 04, 2008

It's Meme O'Clock

Mrs. Bear tagged me for a book meme.
1) Take the nearest book of more than 123 pages.
2) Find page 123.
3) Find the fifth sentence.
4) Post the next three sentences.
5) Tag some folks.

So the nearest book was The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, and I'm not up to page 123 yet, so I hope this doesn't spoil anything:

'Naturally,' William said, 'all this means nothing. I don't believe anyone entering the choir passed behind the apse, and therefore the corpse could have been here for several hours, at least since the time when everyone had gone to bed.'

'To be sure, the first servants rise at dawn, and that is why they discovered him only now.'

Hmm. Well, there's certainly been enough foreshadowing that the corpses would be flying thick and fast, so I suppose that didn't ruin anything.

Now just imagine how interesting things would have been if this book had been a few inches farther away, since the next closest book was my journal. Yes, I do number my journal pages because I feel like it makes me less likely to be eaten by dragons or smothered by giant toads. The real question is whether that page has actual sentences, since I usually affect more of a James Joyce-y style. And on looking it up, it's all about how I should imitate St. Francis more and with more joy, which probably means that I was anticipating a gatekeeper beating me and throwing me into the dark, and feeling like that would not be the highest happiness.

I tag Anika and Hélène.