Sunday, December 11, 2005

O food, where are ye?

I've been wandering around like a lost soul all today (apart from the time that I've been passed out, sleeping off my cold). The reason is that although I went to the store a few days ago and spent way too much money, I don't seem to have anything to eat. I bought Clementines, which I don't want to eat because the last three have tasted funny (that might be due to the cold, or else my rich inner life). I also bought cider to make mulled cider when friends come over, and a hot cup of the remains is now keeping me company. And I must have bought pickles, because my salt intake has recently skyrocketed. This is actually good, because my drinking problem had been getting out of control (again, due to the cold making my throat feel funny). My roommates have tried to get me to seek help ever since the time that I made them smuggle in 2-gallon containers of Ozarka when I was in the hospital, but I still think that I only drink because I enjoy it (I admit that I do over-imbibe at parties, but who doesn't?). Anyhow, I haven't been quite so thirsty of late, which means that my electrolytes are recovering.

I was just angrily asking myself why I had so frivolously spent my money when my self, in an injured way, reminded me of the pound of ground beef in the fridge. "There it is, lean, defrosted, totally ripe for being turned into taco meat (ideal for taco salads)." I was somewhat taken aback, but after further pondering, I've decided that I don't have the moral energy required to turn a pound of raw ground beef into seasoned taco meat. And I'm comfortable with that. The oracle at Delphi suggested knowing thyself, and since I've clearly accomplished that, it's time for a little rest, a little folding of the hands in sleep.