Thursday, January 04, 2007

Clean Kitchen Clean


I spent the evening at Starbucks, playing on the web and having furtive conversations on my cell phone. When I returned to my uncle’s house, I ate some leftovers, then turned my attention to the other remains of the feast. Acting on the principle that nothing says “I love you” like a clean kitchen, I rolled up my sleeves and sent the dirty dishes scattering in panic before me. It was only after I had reached the point of no return that I remembered that occasionally a homeowner, confronted with a kitchen which ought to have been full of the signs of reveling, hears “You filthy filthy pig-slob!” rather than the intended message. I mused on this for a while, until I found that in addition to musing, I had cleaned the microwave and taken apart the gas grill for that extra touch that means so much. I finished as quickly as I could, refused to look for SOS pads, and ran to my bedroom to fret.